T'was the night before Halloween...and all through the house...there was a whole lot of stirring....but not by a mouse!
We like to "Boo" our friends and neighbors anonymously with treats every year. Here is an inexpensive treat bottle that can be decorated and filled with candies for that special friend to enjoy and display.
You will need:
- Joy Embroidered Letters spelling BOO
- Decorative bottle with cork
- Glass etching liquid
- 1-1/4" Smoothfoam ball
- Plastic liter bottle (cut off the top)
- Acrylic craft paints: orange, beige, brown, black, white
- Paintbrushes: 3/4" flat, #3 round
- Green cardstock scrap, jute string, green embroidery floss
- Adhesives, scissors, black fine point marker
- Paper punches: 1-3/4" circle; 1/2" circle
- Hot wire foam cutter or knife
1. For the head, cut a small rounded portion off the bottom of the Smoothfoam ball. Glue the flat side to the top of the bottle cork and set aside to dry.
2. Follow the directions on the etching liquid packaging to frost the outside of the bottle and let dry.
3. Paint the ball head and cork beige and allow to dry. Refer to the photo and paint 2 small white circles for the eyes. When dry, paint a tiny black dip dot to the center of each eye. Then outline the eyes, draw the nose and the mouth with the marker. Draw the teeth and paint white. Paint the bottle orange, then when it's dry, paint some shading as shown in brown.
4. To make hair for the head, wrap jute twine around your hand about ten times. Slide it off your hand and cut the loops at each end. Tie an extra piece of twine around the middle and knot to secure. Glue to the top of the head.
5. To make his hat, Punch a 1-3/4" circle and a 1/2" circle, and cut a 1-1/2" x 3" strip from the green cardstock. Roll the strip into a cylinder and glue the small circle to the top and the large circle to the bottom. Glue the hat to the top of the hair.
6. Tie embroidery floss around the top of the hat. Tie another piece around the bottle neck and finish with a shoestring bow. Glue the letters to the front of the bottle.