My mother recently requested a new neck roll pillow in bright cheery colors. While I was at it, I made one for myself as well. You can use them in the home or while traveling.
- Joy iron-on embroidered letters
- Fabric of choice, 16 ½" x 25 ½"
- 1" x 20" ribbon
- Two 5" fabric circles
- 1 large safety pin
- Scissors, pins
- Sewing machine and thread
- Hot iron/ cotton setting and parchment paper
1. Place your Joy letters face-up on your prepared fabric. Place the parchment paper over the letters and press down with the iron twice in 5 second intervals. Let cool, then repeat the process without the parchment paper.
2. With the fabric wrong-side up and horizontal, fold the sides over by 1/2" and sew in place with the machine. This will make the channel for the ribbon ties.
3. Place one of the circles in the center of the fabric along the stitched edge and sew in place as shown.
4. Fold your fabric with right sides touching. Pin in place if needed and begin sewing - careful not to close up the ribbon openings.
5. Attach the safety pin to the top of your ribbon.
6. Push the safety pin with the ribbon attached through one of the openings as far as you can go. Feel through the fabric from here on in. Pinch the back end of the safety pin and push more fabric over it from the front. Then, push another length of fabric over the safety pin, and so on. Until the safety pin emerges through the other side. Repeat process with 2nd ribbon on the other opening.
7. Fold your pillow, aligning the ribbon openings and make sure the ribbon ends are the same length.
8. The center crease at the opposite of the ribbon openings is where you will need to add a box-stitch, on the inside of the pillow to hold in place the ribbon so it does not come loose when tying shut.
9. Fill pillow with desired amount of fluff.
10. Then push circle flap in and pull the ribbon tight before tying into a bow.
Lay back and enjoy your pillow!
JOY Embroidered letters can be found at your local craft stores in a variety of sizes, colors, simple and decorative fonts. Visit our Facebook page for more inspiration!