Office and craft caddies are wonderful for organizing all sorts of things at home. I am giving my vanity an update, so I chose several products that I love for this project! Burlap and cording give a timeless look, and they both come in a variety of patterns and colors for embellishing clear plastic storage containers. I've embellished two cubes (one with dividers and one with drawers) for cosmetics, plus a trio of cylindrical jars for cotton balls, cotton swabs and wedge sponges.
You will need:
Joy embroidered letters
Deflecto 4-Drawer Cube
Deflecto X-Divider Cube
Cylindrical storage containers with lids
Cording in 1/8" and 1/4" widths (several yards of each)
Scissors, paintbrush, glue gun, tacky glue
1. Measure for the width and length that you want to cut your fabric. The cubes are 6" x 6". I measured and cut a 6" x 30" piece for the sides and the top. The back pieces were measured and cut in 6" squares with the patterns matching up before adhering to the storage containers.
2. Find a string in the burlap and pull it to the length of the piece you will be cutting. Pull the string all the way out without breaking it. If the string breaks, cut up to the place the string broke off and continue pulling the same string. This will give you the guide you need to cut the burlap straight and not get fraying.
3. Below is a photo of the burlap being cut along the guide line. This is a sure-fire way to cut your burlap and be happy with the results!
Designer tip: If you are cutting individual pieces for a placemat or the like, pull and remove the strings around each side to create a fringe.
4. I applied decoupage medium to the surface of the storage bins and to the wrong side of the burlap. Make sure to cover your surface with wax paper or freezer paper before moving on with this step. Adhere the burlap to the top and sides of the containers. Then finish by adhering the squares to the back. I left the bottom without fabric.
5. Glue the cording to the edges of the containers as shown.
6. Create the cording medallions by pinching one end of the cording together and gluing to a scrap of burlap. Continue by creating a spiral; gluing as you go; until you have the size that you desire for the drawer "handle" or the lid to the cylindrical container. Cut the medallion out; concealing the burlap edges. Glue to the storage containers as shown.
7. Glue a Joy embroidered letter to the medallions. Enjoy!